Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Obstacles

When I first started reading A Worn Path by Eudora Welty, the most prominent element of the story that I noticed was the obstacles that Phoenix faces on her journey.  Of course, I had no idea if they were symbols and if so, what they could symbolize.  Now that I have finished, I think I have a better idea, but I am still unsure.  I think the obstacles that Phoenix faces are simply symbols of the obstacles that any person faces in life as they pursue a goal.  One key characteristic is that some things she ignored turned out to be obstacles, and some objects she saw as obstacles turned out to be simple objects.  "Old eyes thought you was a pretty green bush (paragraph 9)." I think this reflects the fact that in real life, one cannot clearly see the obstacles ahead of him.  When pursuing a goal, obstacles often go unnoticed until they prevent progress.  Likewise, anticipated obstacles may never show up at all, and all precautions can go unrewarded.  Still some obstacles in the story were familiar to Phoenix, such as the log over the creek, and she easily overcomes them.  Similarly, some obstacles can be anticipated and overcome in reality, especially after personal experience.  I think the whole story could be an allegory of sorts, supporting the story's theme, but I could be way off.  Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment