Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Why do I always blog about foreshadowing?

In Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melvillle, I found Bartelby's situation of homelessness as no surprise.  There are multiple instances of foreshadowing in the story that hint at his circumstances.  First, the lawyer's description of Bartelby's appearance carries some significance.   "I can see that figure now - pallidly neat, pitiably respectable, incurably forlorn! It was Bartleby (p648)."  The diction in this passage is key.  Pallid means lifeless.  Pitiable alludes to his dire financial situation, and forlorn refers to his loneliness without family or home.  Without the knowledge of Bartelby's situation, this description seems pretty strange.  I took notice of the description when reading; however, I didn't realize the significance until later.  The less subtle hints came later when the lawyer talks about how he never saw Bartelby leave the office and how he noticed Ginger Nut bring him cookies.  At that point in the story, I found his diet and stillness really odd, and I began to wonder if he was living in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment