Monday, January 7, 2013

Turning Point

In How I Met My Husband by Alice Munro, I noticed a definite turning point near the end of the story.  The story, for the most part, is about Edie (the main character) and her interaction with Chris Watters, the pilot who stops near the home she is working at.  As Edie has several complicated meetings and interactions with him, the reader (in this case, me) expects to see the two get married.  Based on the title of the short story, this is a logical conclusion.  Especially after Chris promises to send her a letter and maybe see her again, this sort of "happily ever after" ending doesn't seem too far-fetched.  However, I realized that this was not to be on page 145 in paragraph 196.  A young mailman with the last name of Carmichael says "You've got that smile I've been waiting on all day (paragraph 196)!"  This compliment somewhat contrasts with the compliment that Chris gives Edie earlier in the chapter when he sees her in Mrs. Peeble's dress. At that point, I started to think that Carmichael may actually become her husband, as he seems to be interested in her.  Later on that page, Edie comes to the same conclusion, and on the next page, they get married.  What a quick change!

No comments:

Post a Comment