Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Paradoxes are Cool

To me, Batter my heart, three-personed God by John Donne is a very ironic poem.  The speaker talks to God as if he wants nothing more than to love him and be with him, but he refuses him at the same time.  He says "Yet dearly I love you and would be loved fain, But I am betrothed unto your enemy (lines 9,10)."  This poem is the story of all people who want to be holy, but are to used to their old ways.  This sonnet uses paradoxes to illustrate this.  In the last three lines, the speaker says he will never be free unless God imprisons him or chaste unless God ravishes him.  Both seem like impossibilities, but he is saying that God is his only chance at holiness as he can't become so on his own.  I suppose it is up to the reader to decided whether this is out of pure laziness or simple inability.  Is the speaker really incapable of accepting God, or is he simply dumping all the work on His shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment