Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Story Begins!

I have begun to read The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton.   After the first chapter, I have many questions to be answered.  Does Selden want to marry Miss Lily Bart?  Does he want to be married at all? Will Lily find a husband?  Will Mr. Rosedale be a source of conflict for Lily in the future?  I have many questions, but they will be answered in the remainder of the novel.  In this blog, I want to focus on the exposition of the story's plot.  At first, the basis of the story is unclear.  The characters of Miss Barth and Mr. Selden are introduced by the occasion of them meeting by chance in the Grand Central Station of New York.  When Miss Barth asks him to tea, I started to notice how her character is somewhat flirtatious and attempts to spend a lot of time with men.  As she converses with Selden, it became more obvious that the reason for this is that she is 29 and needs to find a husband.  I was somewhat surprised that Lily had not yet married, because she is described as such as beautiful woman.  I suppose it is difficult for her because she has no family to help her find a match.  The introduction of this problem for Lily ushers in what I believe will be the driving force of the story's plot and overall conflict.  Lily needs to find a husband.  Of course, this chapter brings up more questions about this.  The chapter notes that Selden does like Miss Bart.  It says: "In truth, he had never liked her as well as that moment (p 4)." However, it does not clarify whether or not he has romantic interest in her nor whether she has interest in him.  This could also be a conflict later in the story.  I'll have to read further to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment