Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Foreshadowing

In The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, there are many instances of foreshadowing.  Amir's narration from the "future" allows him to comment on the past and give the reader insights toward the action.  On page 275, Amir says "I popped another one in, unaware that it would be the last bit of solid food I would eat for a long time."  This foreshadows the terrible injuries he receives from Assef.  On page 313, he foreshadows Sohrab's prolonged silence saying "almost a year would pass before I would hear Sohrab speak another word."  In all of these instances, Amir's insight from the "future" gives the reader hints.  There are countless other times where he does the same thing.  Amir's frequent addresses to the reader are characteristic of the novel.  This keeps the novel suspenseful and moving at a good pace.  Personally, this method of writing kept me engaged the entire time I was reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment