Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Suspense is Killing Me!!!

While reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, I had trouble putting the book down.  The entire book had a certain suspense that left me wanting to know what would happen next.  This was in part caused  by Hosseini's narrative style.  His use of first person point of view allows him to present Amir as a link between the past and present.  Because Amir is telling this story from the present, he often makes comments that "tease" the reader by hinting at what is to come.  This was never more clear than when Hassan tries to commit suicide.  At that point, all Amir said was "I pushed the door open.... Suddenly I was on my knees, screaming....  Later, they said I was still screaming when the ambulance arrived (p 343)."  He leaves out all detail of Hassan's injuries until page 347.  This part of the book caused extreme suspense.  While it was much more prevalent there than any other part of the novel, suspense was still present throughout the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment