Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Could this be the climax?

In the last section I have read of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, the action is continuously increasing.  I think that it is the climax because the action is now very intense, and it can't be resolved without some sort of big change.  Plus I'm running out of pages.  That's always a good climax indicator....  Anyways, something important happens ever page, and I find myself reminded of me earlier thought that the novel would have an unhappy ending.  Tom has found out that Gatsby is in love with his wife, and he must figure out what to do.  In the meantime, Myrtle sees Jordan at her husband's shop and assumes she is Daisy, causing her to think that Tom is done with her.  Wilson has found out that Myrtle is hiding a secret life from him, and is considering moving away.  Then Gatsby and Tom finally confront each other openly.  Tom question's Gatsby's past and Gatsby questions Daisy's love for Tom.  To top it all off, Daisy tells Gatsby "i did love him once-but I loved you too (132)."  This really hurts Gatsby, but he still insists that Daisy will leave Tom to be with him.  The question is, now that Tom's relationship with Myrtle is in jeopardy, he is less likely to let Daisy leave.  And it is now seeming that Daisy might not be willing to leave Tom herself.  One thing is clear, now that things are out in the open, things can't go back to the way they were.  The problem must be resolved somehow, and not everyone can be happy.  What will happen?  Which side will Daisy choose?  Once again, I have to read to find out.  At least I'm close to finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment