Monday, August 6, 2012

Honesty: Nick is not in Good Company

At the end of Chapter 3 of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I found something that Nick said rather ironic.  He stated "I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known (p. 59)."  This doesn't surprise me, taking into account the kind of people that Nick has been around in the last 3 chapters.  Tom is having an affair, Jordan cheated in a golf tournament, and Myrtle also lies to her husband.  Myrtle's friends and the guests at Gatsby's party were just as dishonest.   Even Gatsby has innumerable rumors floating around about him.  Could he be hiding something as well?  I found it ironic that a person who is so honest associates with people with such different personalities.  He even seems to be in love with Jordan, whom he describes as "incurably dishonest (p 58)."  Maybe Nick wasn't in such company before the beginning of the story, and his new associations will ultimately end up causing him trouble, and he will revert to people more like himself.  Overall, this strong contrast seems to set up Nick as a hero, struggling against the corrupt ways of upper-class society.  Again I am reminded of The House of Mirth.  I am curious to see how Nick's friendships with dishonest people will turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment