Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Juxtaposition-ception!

I was reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, when I realized that I found two examples of juxtaposition, one inside of another.  I have coined it... JUXTAPOSITION-CEPTION!!!
The first example was found in Nick's thoughts.  "Thirty - the promise of a decade of loneliness....  But there was Jordan beside me (135)."  Nick had realized that he was thirty, and ironically, he finds time to pity himself while the struggles of Gatsby, Tom, and Daisy rage around him.  The relationship problems that are abundant in this novel make me wonder whether the relationship between Nick and Jordan will work out.  I think not, since they are of different social classes, and they have different personalities.  Second, the novel jumps straight from the description of Jordan and Nick being close to Wilson locking Myrtle in his office.  Obviously, with Tom & Myrtle's affair, their relationship isn't going well.  This emphasizes the desperation of Wilson and Myrtle's situation.  Then, suddenly Myrtle is killed by a speeding car.  Things just keep getting worse.  I can't say I didn't see something like this coming, but it is surprising all the same.  All of a sudden, Nick's situation seems very, very good compared to everyone else (perhaps because he has no desire for money...?).


No comments:

Post a Comment