Thursday, November 1, 2012

Funerals are Sad

Honestly, I don't really understand the poem I felt a funeral, in my brain, by Emily Dickinson.  I couldn't understand what the speaker was saying.  However, I could draw some conclusions from the diction that Dickinson uses.  Words such as "Mourners," "numb," "creak," "space," "silence," "wrecked," "solitary," and "plunge," give the impression of sad, lonely, and confused emotions from the speaker.  Whatever the person is felling or thinking, he/she does not understand it and is distressed over it.  Imagery also plays a key role.  The only senses portrayed are touch and hearing.  "I felt a funeral in my brain (line 1)."  "And then I heard them lift a box (line 9).  Strangely, or so it seems, the narrator does not mention sight.  My first explanation is that the narrator is describing a chain of thought and therefore can't see the events.  Second, I think the absence of sight could represent the speaker's disorientation and/or dismay.

No comments:

Post a Comment