Sunday, November 18, 2012

I blog about foreshadowing yet again...

Not unlike the other novels we have read this year, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is full of foreshadowing.  Especially throughout the beginning of the novel, Victor seems to constantly remind his audience (Walton) that his life was ruined by great mistakes.  His story begins with an account of his "perfect" childhood.  He tells how great it is, but he makes it clear that his story doesn't remain bright and cheery for long.  On page 20, he says "before misfortune had tainted my mind...".  Later he says "the first misfortune of my life occurred - an omen, as it were, of my future misery (23)."  Victor also uses less direct symbols to foreshadow the future disasters of his life.  He seems to have an idea of fate or destiny which drives him toward disaster.  "Destiny was too potent, and her immutable laws had decreed my utter and terrible destruction (23)."  He later talks about "Chance - or rather the evil influence, the Angel of Destruction, which asserted omnipotent sway over me from the moment I turned my reluctant steps from my father's door -...(25)".  Clearly, the negative events of his life had a deep and lasting impact on his life.  Even before he reveals exactly what these events are, the reader knows for certain that they will occur.  Furthermore, once they begin to occur, there is always the expectation that even more will go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment