Sunday, November 18, 2012

Victor's encounter with "Frank" and why it made me LOL :D

As strange as it may seem, I found Victor's encounter with his creation, or as I call him, Frank, to be really amusing.  I thought that Mary Shelley's intent in writing Frankenstein was to scare people, but instead, she made me laugh.  (I'm sorry Mary Shelley!)  Anyway... I found this scene funny for multiple reasons.  First, it is so far from the Frankenstein story that modern society knows.  I hardly expected Frank to say things like "I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel (p 69)."  He's like 2 years old, but he alludes to the Bible and talks with more eloquence than I could if I tried.  This display also contradicts all that Victor thought of the creature.  Frank said "How can I move thee?  Will no intreaties cause thee to turn a favourable eye upon thy creature, who implores thy goodness and compassion (p 69)?" Again he talks like an educated human, but he also shows compassion and human desire.  He wants a friend.  That's all.  However, I found it amusing that Frank's simple view of morality contracts this sophistication and compassion.  He threatens going a murdering spree if  Victor doesn't treat him with love, and yet he says he will be "mild and docile" if he is treated with love.  As Mr. Striby would say, this is an example of a person at stage 2 of Lawrence Kohlberg's stages of moral development.  Frank treats other people kindly, but only when it benefits him.  Finally, I thought it was really funny when good ol' Frank showed a sense of humor.  Victor is ranting about how he wants Frank out of his sight.  His response was to put cover Victor's eyes.  "Thus I take from thee a sight which you abhor.  Still thou canst listen to me and grant me thy compassion.  Perhaps, this was simply an example of Frank's child-like misunderstanding of Victor's comment; nevertheless, I found myself laughing, and I can't say I expected to be doing that while reading Frankenstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment